Re: RC: Hunters/Jumpers (was FEI...)

Bingo, Angie.
AERC really doesn't have a whole lot of hard & fast "rules", but ride
managers can make a lot of their own, all within AERC. How many times has it
been stated on this very list about AERC RULES concerning pregnant mare,
shoes, must use a saddle, etc.  And parking? We've been to rides where you
had to tell them in advance the size of your truck & trailer & they allotted
you that much space, period. Camps where generators are segregated, corrals
segregated, stallions all grouped together, etc. And just imagine at the ROC
I had to wear that blasted pinney all day in that nasty central region gold
color (who picked THAT any way?). And as you mentioned, that dreaded not
being down to criteria penalty.
OCER used to co sanction a ride or two put on by a club from a bordering
region. "Our" rules stated riders had 30 minutes to reach criteria at the
holds, "theirs" mandated 20 minutes. "Our" criteria was usually 64, often
60. "Theirs" usually 68. Much bickering every year. One year the vet took
"their" 20 minutes & "our" 60 heart rate. I think endurance riders are only
truly happy when they have something to b______about. We were all truly
happy that hot humid day. It helps pass the time on trail, I guess. I know
I've done my share, I can laugh more when it's somebody else. ;->
For new comers to this sport, you may not realize it has been undergoing
continual changes during the 10 years I've been involved. I suspect it has
been in a constant state of evolution since it's beginning.
The world as we know it was supposed to end when finishing critera was
changed from 72 heart rate & sound at a walk. Guess not.

Nancy Mitts