From: CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com [mailto:CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 8:32 AM
To: kathy_mayeda@atce.com; dbeverly4@aol.com
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RE: RC: Strangles

In a message dated Mon, 7 May 2001 11:11:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kathy
Mayeda" <kathy_mayeda@atce.com> writes:

<< Heidi, if you read the article again, Dr. O says that they lose their
immunity over time "perhaps as short as 2 years."
He is not disagreeing with you.  >>

Here is his quote:

<1) There is no doubt that experimentally Strangles horses loose their
immunity over time, perhaps as short as 2 years. Experience suggests in the
real world a longer lasting immunity, some think life time. I have seen
horses in the middle of outbreak surrounded by sick horses that remained
free of the disease but had no history of prior infection or vaccination.
Then again I had not know the horses that well.>

So, he is citing experimental cases having waning immunities, but suggesting
that it may be different in real life.  I am suggesting that real life is
indeed similar to the experimental cases.  It sounds here as if he is
quoting others and not really expressing a clear-cut opinion from his own
experience.  I know from my own experience as well as from the experiences
of others that the immunity is not lifetime, and I haven't talked to anyone
active in the field of immunology that still holds that belief, either.
Regarding horses that do not get sick in a given outbreak--they may or may
not be immune, as all diseases have a pattern  of "morbidity" (the number
that get sick) and it is rarely 100% for any disease.  I can't cite precise
morbidity figures for strangles, but although it has a high morbidity, it
does not approach 100%.  This doesn't mean that the horses who stay well
necessarily have an immunity from a previous exposure.  While Dr. O does not
come right out and say !
that they do, he is inferring th
at he thinks they might.

Heidi