From: Dbeverly4@aol.com [mailto:Dbeverly4@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 8:32 PM
To: kathy_mayeda@atce.com
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: RC: Strangles

kathy_mayeda@atce.com writes:

The other side to the this discussion is when new horses come it sure would
be nice to know they may not get as sick.. I think the key to the argument
is that penicillin, when started early in the course of the disease and used
in appropriate dosages, is extremely effective at curing this disease and
preventing further spread.

Whoa!  This is completely contrary to what I've been told and read about
Strangles.  My understanding is that you DO NOT want to give antibiotics to a
horse with Strangles you can end up with an even worse illness -- Bastard
Strangles that is frequently fatal.

Sylvia