Re: Hydration

> Hello,
> I have a 5 year old horse that I am conditioning for endurance riding. We
rode (and completed) 3 limited distance events last year and he finished
with all "A's" in each event. My concern is that when he gets excited he
tends to get the "runs". He drinks very well on the trail, but I am still
worried that having the "runs" will serve to dehydrate him too much when we
start doing 50's.

> Are there any dietary suppliments that I can remedy this with, or could it
be something more serious?

The runs are just a stress reaction, and hopefully they'll go away when your
horse gets some more experience and is handling it all like old hat.  If he
had the runs all the time, then you could consider looking into it further,
ie for some in the hindgut and so on.  If it's resolving more or less right
away after the ride, it's just stress.

Yes, the runs are contributing to him losing more fluid, though whether it's
to a significant extent would depend on a lot of other factors, like your
speed, how much poop, how hot it is, his level of conditioning, etc.

There aren't any dietary supplements that will resolve the runs, so don't
waste your money.  You're way ahead of the game having a horse that drinks
well.  I would say that you'll be okay as long as you aren't being stupid
and trying to top ten your first time out of the gate.  Ride conservatively,
give your horse a chance to figure it all out and just have a good time.  If
you don't already, consistent e'lyting in small and frequent doses
throughout the ride will help ensure that he isn't losing too many e'lytes
in the poop (most oral e'lytes will be absorbed in the small intestine, but
there's still a significant proportion in the hindgut).

There's also a series of articles on my website that you might find useful,
especially the first one on hydration.  It's not the final word on hydration
in the horse, but it'll give you a few suggestions.  It's at
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/

Good luck!

Susan G