Re: Panacur Nightmare

One unobvious substance that can cause substantial skin reaction
in horses, akin to burns with weeping sores, is human bug spray.
I forgot my horse bug spray on a trail ride, so I used
my own "OFF! Deepwoods Spray" on my horse instead.  What the
heck, I figured "it's all just the same stuff."

Over the next week he developed suprating sores and swelling under
the jowl.  I was at a complete loss.  It was the vet, prying me
with questions, that finally made me remember the OFF!  Evidently
the N, N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide and "related isomers" in human
bug spray can burn horses.  It is not "just the same stuff."

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA