RE: RC: Do I need 4WD? Dully?

I like the 4WD.  I have used mine.  I've had to go into 4WD
to get out of a field at ridecamp with long grass, no mud.
I've had to go into 4WD to hook up my trailer here on the
coast in the winter when the ground gets muddy and doesn't
dry out until spring.  My friend bought the same "footprint"
truck in 2WD and got stuck in front of my trailer when she
just parked there, so it's not just my imagination.  I've also
shifted into 4WD when driving over passes in snowfall (no
trailer) when the road gets icy and I can feel the truck
stablize.  I've used the 4WD low too.

Karen, you might point out you live in the desert where rain
soaks into the ground and disappears within a day or two
which might account for you not using the 4WD.  Oh, and there
is the point about having more experience trailering than the
average bear.  ;-)

As far as the dully, I am not planning on pulling a big gooseneck,
and right now I just have a 2 horse slant.  I am planning on
someday getting the short LQ 2 or 3 horse... maybe in another
5 years (which is how long it took me to buy my truck).  I got
what I consider to be the smallest truck to do the job.  Stumpy
is a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins w/extended cab.  He is very stable.
I suspect the dully is more stable if you need it, but since I
managed to take out a rear fender on Stumpy within the first
3 months I had him, I can't imagine what I would have done to
dully fenders!  Also, since Stumpy gets 20 mpg, I sold my car.
He's not the easiest thing to park, especially here in the silicon
valley where regular parking spaces are "compact size" and
compact parking spaces are motorcycle size.  If I'd have gotten
a dully, I would have  kept my car.

The thing I see we all agree on is get the biggest truck you can
afford!  You won't regret it.

:) - Kat Myers
in No. Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer aka "Little Matador",
Mr Maajistic aka "Blue"... resident endurance arab,
and Stumpy... 2000 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins 4x4