Trucks & Hauling

Annette Shumway wildpony@san.rr.com
Help!

I have finally decided I must buy a new truck.  Can you experienced haulers give me some advice?

I want to buy the smallest truck I can get away with, (for mileage) but still feel secure when I haul. I haul about once a month.  I'd like - Automatic, Extended cab, Gas only, no dually's, no 4x4.  I will be hauling flat, hills & mountains (S. Calif.).

Currently I have an old bumper pull 2 horse. It weighs about 1750#, but loaded I guesstimate about 4000#.

The trailer I would like to own, but will not be able to afford for several years, when loaded will weigh around 6000#. This is a bumper pull, 2 horse slant with small dressing room.

The salemen at Ford, Dodge & Toyota all say any of their V8's with a tow package can handle this.  I'm pretty sure they are correct with my current trailer, but I'm not so sure they can haul my trailer of the future.  (I have no interest in upgrading my truck in a few years).

If a truck is rated to haul 7000#, can it really?  safely?  up a hill?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Annette