Re: RC: Rearing

With rearing, often times the rider is causing it and it can be a vicious
cicle.  I had a friend who's horse reared on her, but she caused it.  They
had previously had a terrible accident where the two of them fell off a
bridge crossing a stream.  When the were crossing the bridge the horse
started to back up, and she let him instead of legging him on.  It took her
2 hours to get him out of the water.  After that, she was afraid to ride
him, and he didn't trust her (do you blame him).  When he healed after the
bridge injuries, she was nervous about riding him and had a death grip on
the reins and on his mouth.  He was an Arab and forward moving, so when he
would move out, she would pull on his mouth, and the struggle ensued.  I
watched them one day, and she grabbed the reins and did about 6 or 8 hard
pulls in succession, just going pull, pull, pull and holding the pulls.  As
she pulled, I watching him start to pogo on his front end and next thing you
know, he's up and she slid onto his rump.  She didn't fall off and he didn't
go over, and it wasn't really a bad rear.  It actually looked like she was
trying to get him to rear.  This was the end of their relationship.  So
examine what your friend is doing, she may be causing the rearing without
realizing it.

Carolyn Burgess