mystery rider rash

My riding buddy came in from our long ride on Monday with a rash on her
hands that has gotten worse and worse.  She's allergic to gnat & deerfly
bites, but the bugs aren't out yet (or so we thought).  The Dr's have given
her meds but the rash is still spreading.  If anyone has suggestions for
stopping the rash, please drop me a note!!!!  Her mare has always had a very
short mane and tail, we treated her for mites last year and it seemed to
help...  Think mites might cause her rash?  We'd planned to use Barb's
topical Quest mite cure on the mare this spring.

Hope this is not tooo off topic & thank you!

Michelle