Re: RC: Re: Help with new baby!

Hi June!  Foals do go through stages where they "apparently" unlearn everything you think they've learned.  This is because when teaching horses we have a habit of *assuming* that they are actually learning what we are intending to teach.  This isn't always the case!

I'm thinking that while you thought you were teaching the foal to be haltered, at that stage in life the foal is actually simply accepting what you're doing without actually truly *learning* anything.  I guess what I'm saying is that at that stage a foal pretty much receives the input of it's surroundings as a given, but can't really differentiate between discrete events.  It's just all part of this new experience called life.

Foals don't see well when they're born - it takes a few days for their eyes to be able to focus properly.  The timing of your "incident" is such that the newly focusing eyes delivering new info, plus the chicken, plus falling over backwards and hitting it's head, PLUS your being there with the halter, etc. added up to a situation that in it's short life your foal had of course never before experienced.   It was too much input in too short a time and the equine reaction to something that is not understood to be absolutely safe is to flee.  Suddenly in your foal's life this thing that had been around since day one (you, the human) was no longer absolutely safe.

I do not think that your foal needs to learn all that much about haltering at this stage, but it does need to learn that you are a safe, unthreatening being, that your handling the foal is safe and unthreatening, and that equipment is safe and unthreatening.  Those are three separate things to teach (not all at the same time!) and none of this actually are addressed via imprinting.  Imprinting is supposed to make being handled part of a foal's normal environment, kind of like breathing, nursing, etc.  But I don't think imprinting truly is a phenomenon of learning/becoming educated/engaging the higher brain, any more than breathing, feeling the ground under it's feet, or swishing a tail at flies is.  So in that sense, I don't think your foal actually had *learned* about haltering when this all happened.

When teaching horses anything I firmly believe *the slower you go, the faster you get there" (an original Lif-ism).  Break everything you want to teach a foal/horse down into as many tiny steps as you can, and then teach and make sure your horse has truly learned step A before going on to step B, step C and on through all the steps.  Don't try to go from A to Z in one gigantic leap!

So - before worrying about haltering, go back to step A.  Teach the foal *how* to learn from you before you start teaching your foal anything else!  The first step in that lesson is going to be how to differentiate you from the background noise of life, how to look at you and *pay attention*, without fear.  Don't be rushed by feeling your foal has to be haltered right away.  Keep in mind that you are creating the foundation now for everything the foal will learn all it's life.  Take your time now to do it right and down the line your horse will learn things practically faster than you can teach it!

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
                          STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html
  Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options