Re: Foot & Mouth

Whilst not wanting to underestimate the economic and emotional cost to those
directly involved with the Foot & Mouth outbreak the picture being painted
by some news channels in the US is very misleading.

The FMD outbreak is not country-wide.  The counties (states) which are most
affected are Devon (south-west), Cumbria (north-east) and Dumfries &
Galloway (Scottish borders).  There are other counties which have confirmed
cases but the numbers are much smaller.  Most of the south-east of the UK is
unaffected.  We are not running out of food or living a hand-to-mouth
existence.

The spread of this highly contagious disease has been dramatically increased
by the distance people are required to travel their animals to take them to
slaughter these days.  The disease spread from Cumbria (source of initial
outbreak) to Devon because a dealer and haulier bought infected sheep from
this farm and took them to his farm in Devon and then distributed them
around his various farms.  The majority of the confirmed cases can be
connected in some way to the original case in Cumbria.  Those which cannot
be linked are assumed to be airborne spread or human link.

Humans cannot get FMD and the risk to people visiting the UK is remote
providing they do not go out of their way to visit restricted areas.  An
American school-teacher was quoted as saying that you could only get FMD if
you touched the hooves of the affected cow not its rump (yeah, a
school-teacher, thats whats scary!).  Obviously the chances of getting to
touch an affected animal even if that was your desire would be remote.

My nearest FMD case is 15 miles away but I still get out of bed every
morning to go to work.  At work we have Red Devon cattle and sheep and take
the necessary precatuions ie everyone has to spray the wheels of their
vehicle and dip their feet on entering the premises but we are still working
because business (and life) has to go on

I hope this clarifies the situation a bit although I can understand peoples
quite natural fears about visiting the UK however we are not under siege and
still welcome visitors!

Heather Hamper
UK