Re: RC: Fear--long

>> I mounted her a couple of> times last night to see how she would do.
She stood like a rock.  However,> the third time I >>mounted, she flung
her head back just as I settled into the
> saddle, and cracked me hard in the mouth and nose.

Why did you mount her over and over?  A few years back Equus did an
article where they put the pressure pad on a horse's back and mounted.
Their conclusion was that one of the most painful moments for the horse
is when we're climbing on.  They highly recommended a mounting block.  I
always hold the off stirrup down when beginners are climbing on since
they tend to pull so hard.  If she stood well for me once, I'd have gone
on to something else.

That said though, I agree with Betty.  If you're scared, you're a bad
influence on a horse that's scared.  She needs a confident rider to gain
confidence from.  You're not doing the mare any favor if you scare her to
death falling off and such. >g< Not to mention pulling her down with you.
 How did you do that?  Is she that small, you that large...??  There are
teenagers out there who don't know they're mortal *yet*.  They'd get on
her without fear, get in a line of horses and ride all day.  They'd
probably love her.

Fear is an intelligent response.  If you know she's too quick for you,
accept that and get her matched up with someone who can appreciate her.
I don't know what you look like, but I've known women with skinny legs,
kind of tall, and  were top heavy who just couldn't ride a horse that
spooks.  I carry my ballast low and I can ride a spook pretty well.
(Weebles wobble but we don't fall down) Being brave and facing their
fears didn't help these women.  Breast reduction might have.  If this
wasn't the horse I wanted to compete on for the rest of my life I'd be
darned if I'd risk my neck on it.  Enjoy your TWH.  Breath deeply. Let
riding be fun, and match her up with the right owner.  You're not the
last good home on earth.

Angie

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.