RE: Fear--long

Having just started another horse, I have plenty of fear, too.  He has
dumped me only once, but every time I get on the horse I take a long
time to mount.  I play Parelli type games with him first, make sure
he's focussed on me, and then take him to the mounting block.  Then I
take a deep breath, get centered, pray, then tug on the stirrup leathers
a couple of times before mounting.  If he moves, I stop him then repeat
before I get on.  I've done this as long as 10 minutes before I
actually swung on to his back.

I broke my mare to ride as a 3 y.o. and I guess it's like giving birth-
painful while you do it, but memory fades...  It's funny - she is actually
a little more dangerous than Drako to ride right now, but since I know
her so well and that she's a -itch, I expect her to behave badly sometimes.
And I know how much I can get on her case.  She needs someone more
strong-willed than her to make her toe the line.  I learned how to
get tough with a horse in an appropriate manner because I had to with her.
But I needed a break from having such a confrontational horse.  She's like
a high performance vehicle that needs constant tuning up to run smoothly,
and I just wanna truck.

With Drako - since he's so vulnerable right now I don't know what he's
going to do, so I'm actually more fearful of riding him.  He wants to
please a lot more than my mare, but he sometimes gets to the point
where he almost "loses it".  We just take a step at a time - for myself
and the horse - to earn trust in each other.

K.