heaves

Hi all,
I have a question. My brother-in-law has a very nice mare. Whom he is thinking of breeding. But the mare has heaves. He asked me if this would cause any problems with her being able to carry a foal. I told him I had no idea if she could, or if it would be a problem. I have searched all my books and the web and haven't come up with anything. I can't get a hold of the vet  to ask,(cavling season).
Could some one help us out here.  My thinking is if would be a problem and if wouldn't be good for her or the foal if she is having trouble  breathing.
The mare has problems with it in the late winter and early spring, and she is treated for it at the time it acts up.  The horse is fine most of the year.
Tami Keller