UAE/AERC (my final stupid remarks)

In a message dated 3/27/01 11:33:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL
writes:

<< Furthermore, I have to agree with Doc Newell--if you think our vets are
for sale--you're crazy!  >>

Well, heck, I know I'm crazy.  Certified in three states and two countries.
That's beside the point.

Talk about twising around what I was trying to say.  But, hey, since I am
nuts, maybe, I didn't get my point across very well.  Soooooo, let me try it
again.

I don't think any vets are paid off.  And that's really not what I meant.
What I meant was PERCEPTION.  When businesses sponsor events, of course,
there's nothing wrong with that.  It's clear why they are doing what they're
doing.  To help sell their product.

With the UAE, it's not clear.  At least not to me.  What I was trying to say
was if it's not clear why they're sponsoring the FEI sanctioning of our
National Championship, then there is the perception, by some, that
something's not right.  And some might wonder why the UAE would do such a
thing.  What's the motive?

If one entity pours tons of money into something, don't you think there might
be strings attached?  The rich (like I would know) don't throw money around
just to make others happy.  They, usually, have their own agenda.

And when they compete in the same sport where they are sponsoring large sums
of cash, might there not be a conflict of interest there?  And when they
offer up large purses for riders who are in the top FEI ranking, a ranking
that they control, might this not be perceived as questionable?  And isn't
the next move to make the events themselves ones where the winner, second and
third place, is awarded cash?

I mentioned payola, bribery, bought and paid for, to get your attention,
since you,  didn't seem to understand Randy's explanation of conflict of
interest.  I do believe the reason the board turned down the UAE offer is
because of perception.  They didn't want it "perceived" that the AERC was now
operating it's National Championship Endurance "run" under the auspices of
the UAE.

I'll shut up now since my words seem to be getting reactions that are rather
personal.  I do apologize to you, Heidi, for coming on a bit strong.  It was
because I thought Randy's last post was exceptional and I was upset that you
didn't "get it."

This subject intrigues me and it's not going to go away any time soon.  I was
hoping to be part of the discussion, but when we start calling each other
stupid and racist (I can live with crazy) I guess it's time for me to bow out
of that game and let the Doctors and Gods take over.

cya,
Howard