Re: RC: UAE/AERC

In a message dated 3/27/01 5:46:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CMKSAGEHIL@AOL.COM writes:

<< Randy, I'd say your facts are correct here, but I still fail to see how
what you've said has any bearing on why AERC turned down the offer of UAE
money for an FEI division at an AERC ride!   >>

Well, then you ain't paying attention, cause I certainly understand where the
problem lies.  It's called perception.  Payola.  Bribery.  Being bought and
paid for.

Did you read his paragraphs concerning "conflict of interest(s)?"  I mean
come on, if the FEI portion of the ride is sponsored by the same country who
competes and competes seriously, then there's not much doubt that there's a
conflict of interest.  If the vets and judges are paid by the same country
who plans on winning the race, don't you see a conflict there?  Are you
living on the same planet as the rest of us?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, poops like a duck, my guess is
it's a duck.  When I was in the Air Force (I'm sure y'all love hearing about
this) they had a saying that if anything you do has even an appearance of
impropriety than you'd damn well better change what you're doing.  Culture
differences not withstanding, I think even the UAE might be able to see where
the perception of conflicting interests might lie.  Maybe one of their
foreign brokers can try and explain it to them sometime.

cya,
Howard (I'm still riding the great X 20 grandson of Paul Revere's horse)