From: Patti Pankiewicz-Fuchs <scubagirl817@hotmail.com>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Monday, March 26, 2001 9:08 AM
Subject: RC: Riding on public land---Advice needed

Hello Ridecampers!

I was wondering if any out there lives on property that borders public land. And if so, are you allowed to ride onto it from your property (gate, hole in the fence, no fence?) or must you trailer to an official entrance?

My neigborhood borders a Buffer Preserve with miles and miles of trails. Horses are already VERY welcome at either of the two main entrances. However, that requires people in my neigborhood to trailer 5 to 10 miles. Until a couple of days ago there was a break (not made by the neighborhood residents) in the fence that we all utilized to ride onto the property. Being new to the neigborhood, I slyly asked a ranger the legality of entering the property through a 'hole' in the fence'. Of course, they said that if you entered the property in any place other then the main  entrances you were 'technically' trespassing.

Well, now that the new fence is up, there's a new gate too, with a lock on it of course. We locals are trying to come up with options to bring before the powers that be to convince them to give us a key. I was thinking we can form a club and limit it's membership to only people who live within a 3 mile radius of the gate and perhaps pay them some sort of permit fee for the privelage?

Wondering if anyone on ridecamp has any experience with something like this....it's seems such a shame we have all of this land at our disposal but no way to get there. (many of us locals don't have trailers).

Thanks in advance!

Patti (I can see the trails from here...sigh)

Mercedes  (if only I was a jumper, huh Mom?)