Re: RC: need help with separation anxiety issues in young horse

I hope this helps a little. My horse did this for a bit too. His background
wasn't the same but he would "freak out" if taken from my moms gelding.
Galloping up and down the fence, screamin, all the fun stuff. He would do it
until we brought her horse back or he was too exhausted to move. What we did
took several steps but worked and was pretty "non traumatizing". First we
moved her horse to the adjacent pasture where they could see and touch
noses, etc but were still seperated. Once he got used to this (took a couple
days I think) we moved my horse to his stall for a couple hours each day
where her horse could wander in and visit but would be out of sight part of
it too. We just kept increasing the time we seperated them until all the
"hysterics" were over. Now they are still buddies and love being around
eachother but he no longers goes nuts if he can't see his buddy. Jess