Finger pointing and facts

In a message dated 03/25/2001 11:24:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Coujurs1@aol.com writes:

I don't know what it is about the UAE that makes people run there mouths
(or in this case fingers) about stuff they have no idea about.   But some
facts need to be set straight.

Hi Nina:

Since you seem to be pointing YOUR finger at me, let me reply to your
comments.  I never said the US riders in that race weren't the best the US
had to offer at this time.  I said "horse/rider teams."  There's a
difference.  You're right about those riders being most recently involved in
international competition.  But, in some of the cases, the horses they rode
were not horses that would be considered qualified by normal international
racing standards.  You and I both know the fitness and seasoning of the horse
matters more in a race like these desert races than the current fame or
standing of the rider.  In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on the
rider all of a sudden in this arena.  A good, experienced rider can make a
difference in a race, but the horse should be equally qualified and up to the
task.

I don't want to keep arguing about comments of mine being misinterpreted or
misquoted.  But read what I wrote again.  I stand by every word of it.  As
far as the attrition rate...it doesn't make sense to me to use another race
or several races that had high attrition rates as an example of why it's OK
in this race to have around 40 per cent finish.  Two wrongs don't make a
right.  When horses are pulled from a race, there's always a reason.  And
that reason is physical damage has been done to the horse.  Period.
Sometimes, recovery is quick, but sometimes recovery is slow, painful or
never occurs.  I am sure the standards for pulling horses were high in this
ride.  That's a good thing.  But the fact remains that well over half the
horses left the event injured or sick.  That is not a good thing.

There has never been a time I was pulled from any race, no matter what the
level of competition, that I didn't take it seriously.  Damage was done, and
damage is cumulative.  There are moments and mistakes I would like to take
back.  Life doesn't work that way.  When I opened my mouth originally, I
simply felt compelled to point out the results of the "Worlds Most Preferred"
race and provoke a little thought about those results.  I never intended, nor
do I think I have, pointed any fingers at anyone in a hostile way.  I am
personally not promoting mass hysteria in regard to the UAE either.  Also, I,
too, feel the facts need to be set straight.

Debi Gordon