Re: The Way We Win: Change the "Pay Scale" for Endurance?

Thanks for your thoughtful response, Bob. Your comments are well taken.
With this system, I believe that the cream will still rise to the top,
but without the need to risk it all in that sprint to the finish line.
Basically, your top ten and maybe your top 15 to 20 will end up being in
the "Gold" medal group. The Silver and Bronze groups would see greater
acknowledgement for their efforts, thereby spreading the riches around
without diminishing the accomplishments of the elite performers.
Recently, an endurance rider friend who often finishes top ten finished
something like 27th -- and she apologized to me for her performance! In
truth, she rode smart, knowing her horse wasn't quite up to his usual
level of fitness. Her finish was nothing to be ashamed of -- she would
have earned a solid Silver to add to her string of Gold finishes.
Another friend, whose horse has finished top ten (Gold) something like
12 times out of his last 15 rides, told me that she wasn't willing to
ask her horse for more than he was willing to give in order to be first
across the line. A system such as this would encourage others to also
put the horse first...with no loss of glory and ultimately, perhaps even
greater rewards.
Thanks for your offer to continue the dialogue.
Regards,
Bobbie