RE: Worlds Most Preferred--Really?

> I am quite sure that the purchase of competitors will will continue, after
> all it will be very difficult to turn down an expense paid vacation in an
> exotic place.
>
> Bob Morris
> From: DebiG54@aol.com [mailto:DebiG54@aol.com]
> Only 37 horse/rider teams finished this race, after 88 made it to the start
> line.  There were 49 pulled teams.  This is a shocking attrition rate,
> especially considering the elite nature of the attendees and the hoopla
> surrounding this race.

When I put these two comments together, I could see a correlation, but in a
bit
of a different way.  The riders accept the invitation to an expense paid
vacation in an exotic place, bring their horses -- but are not reluctance to
pull (rider option) and avoid any major problems by getting caught up in the
hoopla.  They've had a great experience, a paid vacation, an opportunity to
ride with the sheiks...a trip of a lifetime that the majority of us will never
see.  I don't see where pulling is necessarily a bad thing.  It seems to me
that the horse is still the number one concern and they're not going to let
them keep going if there is any indication of a potential problem.

The fact that there is a high pull rate tells me that the vets are being very
cautious as well as the competitors.  Yes, it would be nice to finish the ride
as it's always nice to finish a ride...if they get pulled, they *still*
have an
expense paid vacation in an exotic place, good food, and a tremendous
experience (I wouldn't be complaining a whole bunch about the trip if I were
one of the riders. ;-))  I can't believe that the riders from the US would
somehow turn into Banshees endangering their horses for the sake of the
prize.
I think they approached it as they normally would if they were riding in a
local ride.  And, instead of a T-shirt, they got a little bit more for their
efforts to attend.  If the riders from the UAE are riding dangerously in
regards to the horses, that part will show and the scene will change.  After
all, they're all still just flesh and bone riders and horses.

JMO. <g>

Sue