From: DebiG54@aol.com [mailto:DebiG54@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 6:00 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Worlds Most Preferred--Really?

Ridecampers:

Something to ponder...after looking at the results of yesterday's Worlds Most
Preferred Race in Dubai, the outcome does not bode well for the future of the
sport of endurance racing.  This was an FEI event and promoted as a gathering
of many of the world's best (most preferred) riders and horses.

Only 37 horse/rider teams finished this race, after 88 made it to the start
line.  There were 49 pulled teams.  This is a shocking attrition rate,
especially considering the elite nature of the attendees and the hoopla
surrounding this race.

The obvious reason for this race is to showcase the United Arab Emirates
(UAE) and its riders.  Only two riders finishing in the top ten were from
countries other than the UAE--Australian Terry Wood in fourth and a Spanish
rider in tenth.  Seven American riders started, and three finished.  Jennifer
Nice (18th), Karen DiCamillo (24th), and Jan Worthington (33rd) made it to
the finish line.  Darolyn Butler, Steph Teeter, Rita Swift, and Valerie
Kanavy were pulled.  The first three pulled their horses themselves.  Val's
horse Bearcat O'Reilly went out at the last vet gate with lameness.

Since I wasn't there, I don't know everyone's story, drama, or excuse.  But
in my opinion, the results speak for themselves.  Too many of the horses are
paying a terrible price for the ambition of their riders.  Lameness was the
reason for most of the pulls (25), with rider option being the next best
reason for retiring from the race.

Because money talks, the UAE has become an incredibly powerful part of
endurance racing worldwide.  For those invited to attend these events, the
parties are lavish, the build up is extreme, and money is everywhere,
including the pockets of many of the participants.  What are we doing here
folks?  Like I said, just something to ponder...

Debi Gordon