bone scans

Tiffany D`Virgilio tiffshorse@mindspring.com
>>By the way, yes his poop was radioactive waste, and the people who
cleaned his stall had to wear full hazardous waste suits.  He had one of
those little symbols for "radioactive" on his stalldoor and wasn't
allowed on the road for 24 hours.  I sort of scared myself because I sat
on the floor outside his stalldoor all day and then found out a week or
two later I was pregnant with Josie.  <<

Ok, that may have been what they did, but it is all patently ridiculous. First off, TC99m MDP is NOT secreted in the bowel, but in the kidneys. Urine would be mildly radioactive, poop would not. Hazmat suits? Lord, how foolish. We take NO precautions with bone scans or any other diagnostic scans what so ever. With a six hour half life, NOTHING would be left the next day. I have been pregnant and had two  children while working full time as a tech-again, no precautions. The only time we take any precautions is when we ablate(kill) the thyroid. And still no hazmat suits. they only use those in the movies. I am not trying to cause a fight, just pointing out what is real and not as far as the dangers of Nuclear Medicine. You won't believe the people who think we should be in suits, have deformed babies, and that they are going to kill their loved ones and pets if they go home after a scan. That may have been what they did with your horse, but I can assure you none of it was needed, except for the signage and holding the stall bedding the urine touched for a day.
Tiffany