Re: RC: Riding on pavement

When I frist got my mare, I used to ride on asphalt roads quite a bit, as I
didn't have access to trails.  We used to go one or two miles on the roads.
Big problem doing it barefoot is the extra wear on the feet.  Keep an eye on
them, or use properly fitted easy boots.  I would not go faster than a walk
at first, then maybe a slow jog or trot.  I don't believe you should canter
or gallop on such a surface.  My mare actually preferred the asphalt to the
gravel road edge.  She has good bone, and has never experienced a lameness.
As with any other conditioning, if you are getting heat/swelling the next day
you probably overdid it.  jeri