Schriener's Horror Story

Susan Vuturo needtoride@yahoo.com
Last Spring, my 16yo endurance gelding had a reaction to some
weeds in my pasture and he broke out in little oozing bumps all
over his lower legs.  Nothing seemed to clear them up -- not
even steroid powder (can't remember the name of it).  So I
decided to spray his legs with Schreiners.  BIG MISTAKE.  I had
him tied to the trailer and after a moment, he began to paw the
ground.  So I thought, maybe I should just turn him out and let
him roll -- maybe that would ease the stinging.  Well, it must
have just continued to intensify, because in no time, he was
charging around the paddock screaming at the top of his lungs!
He had just eaten his supper, and all I could think was that he
would work himself into a colic if he continued to gallop around
like that!  I tried to catch him, but every time he laid down to
roll and I approached him with the lead rope, he jumped back up
and charged around again, screaming.  Finally, after what seemed
like hours, but was probably only 15 minutes, I was able to
catch him and put him, trembling, into his stall.  I ran to the
house and called the vet.  He advised me (duh!) to hose his legs
with cold water and get all the Schreiners off.  I did that and
he was finally able to relax.  Believe me, I will never make
THAT mistake again!  My poor horse had to pay the price for my
incredible stupidity!!!  I felt like I had tortured him!!!