drop down trailer door dangers

Jonni <jonnij@ntws.net>
Seeing Carla's note on drop down trailer doors, reminds me of something I saw awhile back, and a reminder to ALWAYS use some sort of screen, or net to keep the horse from going down the road with its head hanging out, blowing in the breeze.

I was at a vet hospital, having some X-Rays done on my horse. I always like to walk in the barn, to see what sort of cases they have there at that time. There was a horse that had a huge edema under its eye, with a drain in it. The side of the horses head had many areas stitched up, and a huge tube in its nose for breathing. NOT a pretty site. Seems the horse had its head out its drop down window on the slate load on a narrow road when it got hit with a very large tree branch or something. (owners unsure...got to location and found horse bleeding)

I was chatting with my vet and he said they have many cases come in from eye injuries from impact of rocks or debris kicked up, bugs in the eyes, and other injuries such as the one above.

I can not believe how many horses I see hanging heads out the windows of trailers around this part of Texas. I always put a fly mask on my horses when trailering, to keep they eyes clean, and we don't have drop down doors...just a large slatted opening.

So please, if you want to let air in the trailer, use a screen or net to keep the horses head INSIDE. You don't want your horse to look like the one I saw.

Jonni, Texas