Re: RC: wound care according to the CSU vet school

    What would you put on sarcoids.  I have a horse with a huge sarcoid
that is bloody and ugly and about the size of an orange.  He has had it
removed several times and when I took him to Davis for laser surgery they
discovered that the sarcoid was the least of his problems.  They biopsied
some small internal lumps up between his front legs.  The site refused to
stay stitched and he "grew" a huge lump from that site about the size of a
grapefruit.  We are not sure if it is the cancer gone bezerk or possibly
proud flesh.  It is hiddeously ugly and drips blood all the time.  The
oncologist at Davis is trying to make a vaccine for him but so far has only
been able to grow the cancer cells in the lab with small animals.

On the up side, the horse is happy in the pasture with his buddies and comes
right over when I call him.  He loves to be petted and fed carrots and stuff
and is easy to treat.  Apparently, neither one of these things hurts at all.
He is growing another sarcoid that is sort of flat and whitish like a
mushroom but he is a little sensitive on that one so I leave it alone.  Also,
it is not bleeding.  I put Wonder Dust on him because something like that
seems to keep it from being so icky smelling and dries up a little so the
flies don't bother him.  I tried putting proud flesh spray on it but that
didn't seem to work.

I am sure he is terminal eventually but as long as he is happy, I guess we
can keep treating him.  His owner is willing to pay board and I am willing to
care for him.  It is really too bad though.  He is only 10, has impeccable
ground manners and is a joy to ride.  Anyway, if anyone has a better idea
about what to put on it, I would be interested.........mb

ps....I think it is too late for Crest toothpaste.....