Re: RC: gophers

We have these varmints down here on the great southern sandbar know as Florida
called a Gopher Tortoise. These suckers can get quit big, about 15 inches across
and 6 inches high. The term "gopher" comes from the fact they live underground.
They dig the huge holes into the pastures. They can throw sand farther than a 200
pound dog. They dig these big villages into the ground. They don't dig straight
down, but the tunnels can break down and a horse can fall up to his chest in them.

The rub comes since - you guessed it - they are on the endangered species list; so
you cannot disturb them.  It turns out that my horses know where they are and there
doesn't seem to be much a problem with them - thank goodness. If you ride in the FL
sandhills you would seriously wonder why they are considered endangered, but alas,
the sand hills are disappearing under concrete and urban sprawl.

Truman