Re: Complete Feed Recommendations

> Sue, of all the COMPLETE feeds you know how would you rank them in order
of
> quality?  I really want to use a complete feed and supplement that with
> grazing as much as I can.  That way I don't have to worry about the horses
> having enough roughage during the times grazing isn't available.  Does
that
> make sense?  Eva

I really can't give you an exact answer, because there are so many factors
that would make the perfect feed for me different than quality for you and
your situation---cost, regional availability, what are the most likely
potential problems with your horses, stuff like that.  Plus, there are alot
of local or regional mills that might make a perfectly wonderful feed, and I
don't have info on every last feed available, so it's pretty hard to give
you a ranked list.

Given that you'll be traveling through a lot of different regions, if I
could only choose one type of complete feed to carry with me, and wanted
something that I could get across the country, I guess my choice would be
Purina Equine Senior or Equine Adult (and once again, no, I don't work for
or get money from Purina for saying that).  If maintaining weight was an
issue, then I'd go with Senior.  If you'd ever had so much as a breath of
colic trouble in the past, and your horses didnt have trouble maintaining
weight, then I'd go with the Adult.

Amber has a better handle on the exact formulation of the two feeds, so
maybe she has some input as well, especially if she disagrees with my
reasoning.

Fair warning, though, both feeds have <horrors> propionic acid in them <g.>

Susan G