Dubia - one week to go

Things are heating up - much more activity, more
people have arrived. High energy. We had an incredibly
hot day yesterday - probably close to 100 by
afternoon, and very humid, almost no wind. I rode for
about an hour and really felt it. Khruschev is
handling it pretty well - though his pulses are slower
to come down after we stop. Working pulse is fine -
but once he stops moving I can really see the
difference. We'll be using a lot of ice on this ride.
The OC (organizing committee) will be furnishing all
the riders with a 4WD rig, and the course is going to
be basically a flat track, so we can expect to have
the 4WD driving along beside us for the entire ride.
(dust masks required!). Pretty different... I figure
this is a good time to shuck all expectations and go
with the flow - a new experience in Endurance. Sort of
like riding outside of your region... :)

Last night we all went to the races at Nad al Sheba
racecourse - courtesy of the UAE Racing and Equestrian
Federation. Tables, buffet dinner, all the niceties of
the Nad al Sheba Club. It was a little fancy for our
tastes (a fashion show was going on in between races)
- we were thinking it would be more fun over in the
grandstands with the locals... But, a fun experience
anyway.

The horses are looking great - and we are really
enjoying each other's company at the barn - very open
and friendly group of riders & crew. Mary Lutz (USET)
is arriving today, and we'll also have a Chef d'Equipe
(Art Priesz) for the event. There aren't any team
divisions, but it's very good 'practice' for future
WEC and PAC events. Bob Beecher is here as part of
Kanavy's crew, but he's pretty much helping everybody
at the barm - anybody that has problems or questions,
or just wants some feedback on their horse. He has a
most incredible toy - a thermal radiographic unit of
some sorts - looks like a video camera, but the lense
displays a thermographic image of whatever it is
pointed at - basically pinpoints any areas of heat
(inflamation) that may exist. Very cool. I think this
is one of the most valuable aspects of competition at
this level - the expertise of the individuals that are
here to support the riders, and protect and manage the
 horses to their best ability. I have learned so much!
Jaye Perry is also coming. He is also here courtesy of
Kanavy's. The more I see Valerie (and Larry) in
action, the more impressed I am. They are nuts and
bolts level competitors - incredible detail in
management, training, expediting, etc - but also very
gracious and supportive of the entire USA (and Canada
in this case) effort. They bring the best, and share
it.

more later -

Steph