Re: Think! Animal By Products in feed

Now I certainly don't want to get into a discussion on equine nutrition
with Susan, as I know I will end up a steaming pile of goo on the floor
when she is through with me :)  I just want to say Robyn, that I agree
with you.  I feed my horses COB which I mix myself, beet pulp, good
quality hay and a daily vitamin and mineral supplement that (claims to)
meet all their nutritional needs.  My horses are healthy, fat and sassy
and rarely, if ever, have health problems.  I avoid most bagged feeds
mostly because of the ingredient *animal by products* of which is my
understanding that it can be anything from road kill to milk.  And what
the heck are "processed grain by-products, plant protein products,
forage products....?"  Maybe I have been misinformed, but it is just as
easy for me to buy the steamed and washed oats and barley and cracked
corn and mix it myself.  I feel better knowing what my horses are eating
on a daily basis and not some sticky goop in which gobs of molasses is
covering up who knows what.  And my horses all feel good, maintain good
weight and are happy....what's wrong with that?
This is just ****MY OPINION****!!!
I, myself, am a vegetarian, and avoid meat products for many reasons for
myself, one of those reasons being chemical residues in the meat.  The
standards for animal products in animal feed is even lower than that for
human consumption, so why would I feed this to my beloved horses?  I
think science is wonderful, but certainly not the ONLY answer and that
we do need to follow our own instincts, which *used* to be pretty good!
It's easy to just open a bag of feed and  pour it in your horses feed
pan, trusting that what's in there is good for him, because we have to
work our butts off to earn the money to feed and care for these beasts
and have little time or energy to spend reading volumes or going to a
nutrition class.
IN MY OPINION it IS ultimately about money for the feed companies.  They
certainly aren't in the business for the shear pleasure of making
quality feed for our horses and to see us, as consumers, happy and the
pure joy on our faces as we open a bag of their feed.  It's about
profit, pure and simple.  I'm sure they do the best they can to make or
market a good product, but it is only to get our business and money and
to lure us away from the competitor.  We, as consumers, have taken a
much greater interest in our horses and pets nutritional well being over
the last several years and I believe that is why we are seeing this
latest revolution in "healthy" "well balanced" feeds.
Maybe I am cynical, but I would much rather trust my own instincts when
it comes to my family's and my animals well being.  I feel that oats,
corn and barley are way closer to a vegetarians diet (as horses are by
nature) than animal fat or animal by-products.  What is the reason a
feed manufacturer would use animal fat over say, corn oil?  Cost, pure
and simple, and NOT the welfare of our horses.  So, I'll just keep doin'
what I'm doin' thank you very much.
No flames intended for ANYONE here at all!  Just had to put in my 3
cents and will wait for the fallout!
Regards,
Lisa (and the herd of 9 in south central pa, who are all TOO fat right
now on their vegetarian diet!)