Feed Dealers

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net
Robyn said:

> In the case of feeding, there is no third party in between us and the feed
> producers - no equivalent of saddlers and farriers - whom we can easily try
> to blame for our problems.

On the contrary. My feed dealer is between feed producers
(hay growers and grain mills) and me, and I regularly consult
him on what is available, what other people's experiences are
with any kind of feed (including different types of hay, where
it comes from, which field it came out of, etc.)

He "knows his stuff" when it comes to what he has in stock,
what he doesn't have in stock (but can get), and what he
can't/won't get (and will sometimes give me some ideas of
where else I can get it).

We regularly talk about what his dad is feeding his horses,
what I am feeding my horses (and why), what I am looking
for in a feed, and what other customers have had success
with under what circumstances.  I will also let him know
about any new products that I may hear of that may sound
interesting to me and will ask if he knows anything about
them.  And he has these conversations regularly with many
of his customers (figuring the more information he has about
what people are feeding their horses and why will help him to
stock and sell the best feeds).

He is a veritable fount of information about just about
everything.  In addition  he can get me sample bags of things
that I might like to try out, and just last week we discussed
ingredients, pulled tags off of feed bags, he requested a fax
from a local grain mill, and we meandered around his warehouse
cutting holes in bags so that I could get a look/feel for what
is in the bag, and I can do the same with any bale of hay that
he has on his lot.

He also, presumably, has some such conversations with feed
reps, so he can tell them, this is what my customers want and
this is what they will buy from me.

And he doesn't make any money selling me one bag of feed.  The
reason this guy makes money off of me is because he sells me
just the right feed for my horses.  When it comes right down
to it, if I am not happy with how my horses respond to the feed
that I give them (i.e. the feed that he has sold to me), I am
gonna let him know and he is going to do something about it, or
I am gonna get a new feed dealer.

And since my horse feed bill is the single biggest bill that I have
to pay every month (even though a substantial portion of my horses
are grazing on the non--irrigated, non-tended pasture that Susan G.
has referred to), I think it is safe to assume that my feed dealer
has more to lose by losing my business than anybody else that I do
business with.  There is no way that he is going to steer me wrong
"just to make a quick buck" off of me.  It is one of the most
fruitful relationships that I have with any of the horse professionals
I deal with.

I certainly consult with him more regularly than I do my saddler or
my farrier (although I consult with them in the same manner and
they provide the same quality of service).  I shoe my horses once
every 5-6 weeks.  I feed them every damn day.

And if you think that people don't regularly try to blame their feed
problems on their feed dealer...well, I suggest you ask your feed dealer
about that...he will probably tell you otherwise. :).

And just like a good farrier and a good saddler, a good feed dealer is
worth his weight in gold.  I recognize that not all feed stores provide
this same service (or if they do, I don't know who I should talk to at
their store), but they can be found.

kat
Orange County, Calif.