No Subject

Vicki wrote:

>>I have ridden several times with my friend & this horse & he has never kicked or attempted to kick -- he doesn't even lay his ears back.  We leapfrog regularly -- Storm does not have a problem being passed.  I have even ridden up behind him at a canter & passed him without incident.  The problem is that this behavior was rather unexpected (yes, he cow-kicked once months ago which is
why he was wearing the ribbon, but not since).Since I wasn't at the ride, I don't know the particulars, but I think it was on a single track trail that the other riders passed.<<

I ride a confirmed kicker.  He gives double-barreled shots, and he cow-kicks.  Usually, I catch it before it happens and give him my growly "uh-uh", or a swat on the neck.  It's been a long time since he kicked another horse (note : he has never, ever, ever tried to kick me or another person).

Having said that, there is no point in becoming complacent.  The fact that I've managed to prevent the kicks doesn't mean that he doesn't want to dish them out.  He doesn't like other horses, particularly those who overtake him.  So whilst I'm fairly confident that I can prevent a kick with a warning, I'm not prepared to lay money on it, and so, if someone is going to overtake me, I yell a warning over my shoulder and move Toc's backside off of the trail, so that he can watch them go past.  The fact that I then have to put up with a fifteen minute hissy fit afterwards is my problem.  Don't see why I should make it someone else's.

Tracey