Re: Muscle Twitching in QH

> Hi group -
>
> Before I begin the above subject, let me clarify a thread that is being
> sent around this group.  A fellow poster has been lumping my name in
> with hers (i.e., "Maurisa and I....") without my permission regarding
> the animal byproducts issue.   For the record - I do not agree with her
> extreme views and I'd appreciate my original post - which simply passed
> along interesting reads from Newsweek and a book - be judged solely on
> its own.  Thanks!

Don't worry about it, I for one knew that.  I *really* don't want you to be
under the impression that my posts were in any way criticizing you for
passing along the article, all my criticisms were only towards the article
itself.  I just really get up in arms when such poor information is
published and people naturally assume it must be true, when it isn't, or is
at best a half-truth.    :-)

I can't off the top of my head think of anything obviously
nutritionally-based that might be causing your horse's twitching.  Also,
check and make sure the horse is actually eating the salt you're putting out
for him---that it's not all dusty or mucky with something or 'nother, or
another more dominant horse isn't 'guarding' it.  Not likely, but worth
taking a look.  It would also be interesting to see if the problem went away
if you orally syringed him with some electrolytes before you went for a
ride, just to rule out whether the problem has something to do with that.
Also check the mineral block and make sure it's formulated for horses, not
cows or sheep----ruminant blocks can contain ionophores that can cause
problems (though to my knowledge not muscle twitching, but you never know).
Also, some mineral blocks have a lot of molasses added so the animals will
eat them---does he go to the other extreme and munch it up like a treat?  If
so, let me know and we can explore that a little further.  Lastly, you might
ask to get his selenium level checked along with a basic CBC and chem
panel---hay from different areas of the east coast can be notoriously
deficient in selenium and that can conceivably cause the twitchy muscles
you're seeing.

Let us know how your horse progresses and good luck!

Susan G