Re: Animal By-Products in Feed

----- Original Message -----
From: Maurisa Payne <maurisap@erols.com>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 6:42 AM
Subject: RC: Animal By-Products in Feed

Sorry the first post did not do thru as completed . .

> Newsweek's cover story this week regards mad cow disease and animal
> by-products in feed.  It is a fascinating, informative and scarey read
> if you can stomach it.  Also there is a new book on the shelves entitled
> Fast Food Nation which delves into the nasty things our McDonald's fries
> and burgers (and other well known fast food chains) are cooked in,
> flavored with, and where they come from.  It also states that euthanized
> cats and dogs from shelters are bought by feed companies and ground up
> into animal feeds (yes, horses too).  It further states that most
> McDonald's burgers (and school lunch burgers) come from "dried up old
> dairy cattle who are heavily saturated with antibiotics."

This is exactly the reason why I have gone to a vegetarian no dairy products
diet. Diary products are just liquid meat with super saturated amounts of
pesticides, hormones, antibiotics etc. I highly recommend
Dr. Mc Dougalls books. His books are national best sellers and very fun and
easy to read and make so much sense! Now from what I know, if I ever get
tempted to eat a burger again I it is not a problem for me.
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer a year and a half ago. I was 24 years
old then. My traditional doctor was very scared for me and told me that I
would be lucky if I made it to my 30 th birthday. The medications made me
violently ill and I just knew there had to be more to solving the problem
than just masking the problem. So I started some heavy duty researching. I
went to a world renkowned Chinese herbalist doctor that told me that my
problem was a serious one, but nothing that could not be reversed or fixed.
He told me that I must change my diet - he recommended Dr. Mc Dougals books
for recipes and how and what to eat etc.My grocery bill has dropped in more
than half and I am at my perfect weight. I have been on this, I call it my
"Miracle Diet" for a year and a half now and I cannot tell you how great I
feel now. My energy level is tremendous and my ovarian cysts and the small
amount of cancer that had formed has diminished totally! I am convinced that
it is all the "crap" in the foods that we eat is why so many people are
having so many health probems. It is the same worse "crap" put in our pet
foods is why are pets are also having these same problems. The fact is that
the meat and dairy industry is a huge business. They will do anything they
can to grow that cow faster, or make her produce more milk faster to make
for money faster and who cares about anyone's or anything's health in the
process? Why are there so many milk and cheese commercials when we buy the
stuff anyway? It is all a business to brainwash into thinking it is stuff we
have to have.

> The Washington Post had an article about this book in the food section
> last week and I spent three hours at Borders over the weekend skimming
> it.  Nasty stuff!  That, coupled with the Newsweek article, made me RUN
> (yes, I'm yelling!) to the barn to check the labels on my horse feed.
> Phew - no animal by-products!  But what am I going to feed by cats and
> dogs now?

What did cats and dogs eat before there was "dog food or cat food"? They ate
rabbits, mice etc.
I feed my cat raw ground up organic turkey or chicken. I make her a mouse
every night. (Please don't laugh) She gets the organic ground up turkey or
chicken with organic babyfood like spinach and potatoes a little oat bran or
oat meal (this resembles the vegtables and little bit of grain in the
mouse's stomach). I add a supplement called "Fresh Factors".  She is 15
years old, and have seen the incredible health results with her also. I
almost lost her due to high kidney BUN levels when she was on commercial cat
foods. I took her to a wonderful holistic vet in the area and she helped me
to put her on a natural diet. She looks and feels fabulous!

> Seriously folks, if you read either of these two things, your outlook on
> what we feed our animals and ourselves will change.  It's an alarming
> situation and I urge each of you to check your horse feed products - and
> the human food you might keep in your freezer or pantry.  If your feed
> contains animal by-products, contact your supplier and manufacturer and
> insist that you will switch to another feed if this animal trash isn't
> removed.  As a group we can all make a difference in what we feed and
> what we eat.

As for our horses the same thing are going on. Remember folks this is all
about business for these people. They claim that they are in it for your
animal's helath but are they really?
Here is quoted from The Whole Horse Journal Oct 99:
" There is also the intitive assumption voiced by a number of people that
horses are herbivores (plant eaters) and should not be fed animal
products-foods that they would never encounter in a wild natural state.
This concept isn't as fuzzy as it might first sound. It took Britian's "mad
cow" scare to get people to start questioning the wisdom and practice of
feeding animal products to the herbivores.
In retrospect, the feed industry's practice of using cattle brains and
spinal cords in cattle feed doesn't look very smart. But from a purely
financial standpoint, it makes "sense" for a feed maker to utilize every
scrap of fat - or protein bearing tissue - things that would otherwise
constitute "waste". And when you have plenty of scientists ready to assert
that "fat is a fat" and "protien is a protein," the holistic concept of
synergy in feed formulation sounds like new age hogwash. But in our view, it
just makes sense that horses should be fed only feeds that horses may
encounter in a wild state.
The consumption of BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin affects cellular mechanisms,
causing gene instability and a higher mutation rate. As a result, these
substances have been linked to a higher incidence of cancer in both humans
and animals. Of the three sysnthetics preservatives, ethoxyquin is the most
toxic as evidenced by the crackdown on dog food manufacturers as evidence.

Feed additives are common
Purina Complete Advantage, Purina Athlete, as well as all of the other
Purina feed that contain Athlete (the complete Omolene line, Equine Senior,
Equine Junior, and Equine adult) all contain ethoxyquin.
Purina Complete Advantage, Purina Horseman's Edge, as well as Omelene and
Equine feeds contain propionic acid.
Manna Pro Super Horse Elite 10, an extruded, high fat feed contains animal
fat and ethoxyquin.

The article goes on and on . . .

Robyn Levash