From: Jim Holland [mailto:lanconn@tds.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 10:20 AM
To: Flinn Anderson; Susan Garlinghouse; Ridecamp
Subject: RC: Re: pasture/fertilizer

Flinn...

I have always NOT allowed my horses to graze on a fertilized pasture
until it rains or is irrigated.  Although fertilizer is now pelletized
and not as likely to coat the grass, I personally would not do that.
It's not as much of a problem if the grass is high when you fertilize.
If the grass has been eaten down to the ground, then the horse is much
more likely to ingest fertilizer, which I know is true in your
situation.  (Same theory as not feeding grain on the ground...they are
more likely to pick up sand)

Of course, I may be just paranoid and the county extension agent may
feel the risk is minimal.  Tell you what, I will forward this to my
"guru" of nutrition Susan Garlinghouse and Ridcamp.  If it's related to
a horse, these folks have been there and done that.

Does anyone have any specific info on this as to recommendations for
Flinn?

Regards, Jim and Sun of Dimanche