From: sshaw@pacbell.net [mailto:sshaw@pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 9:05 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: RC: FEI rides in U.S.

During the Ride Managers Forum at the AERC Convention we talked about
some of the requirements and costs for putting on
a FEI level event here and along with a regular  AERC sanctioned ride.

-    There are two sanctioning fees of $300 each that are paid for FEI
certification. I am not clear if both of them go to either
FEI and/or AHSA and would like some clarification on that. $600.

-    There is another payment of $15 per horse to AHSA for drug testing.
(In addition to AERC's fee or the State of California's fee?)

-    You must have 2 FEI certified Veterinarians, one from another Zone,
and FEI certified Steward and Ground Jury present. Does this mean that
any vet working the FEI portion of the ride (if they need three?) also
has to be FEI Certified? And if the Steward cannot be at the vet
check(s), finish line, and PR station all at the same time to assure
fairness then does anyone they appoint as a Steward need to be FEI
certified too? I believe that the answer to that is yes also. How else
could they know what the standards are?

Ride management must have a printed program of the FEI event declaring
the officials and schedule of events for all FEI
participants

All U.S. riders must be a member of AERC International and a member of
AHSA. All foreign riders must be approved by their
NF in order to ride in the event. The  U. S. horses must be registered
with AHSA.

The FEI Technical Delegate (who can then become the Head of the Ground
Jury) must assure that management has checked all of these factors
consistently for all participants.

The finish of the FEI portion of the ride is a little different in that
the horse must pulse down within 30 minutes of its completion
time and I believe that it must be at a 60 pulse. If the horse cannot it
is eliminated from FEI competition, but if it does reach
criteria within the hour (as per AERC rules) it can still receive its
AERC completion.

The FEI riders cannot use or carry whips or spurs, must either wear
heeled shoes or have stirrup covers, weigh with tack 155#
or carry weights, all camp together in a specified, cordoned off area,
and must all wear helmets. It is the Steward's
responsibility to assure that this is complied with by all participants.

So, a ride manager (riders) must fork out an additional $600 just to get
the blessing (payoff) from AHSA for the honor of helping U.S. riders
qualify for future Pan Am or WEC competitions. Plus pay an additional
$15 duplicative drug fee.

I would hope that our AHSA representatives, Mike Tomlinson, Jerry
Gillespie and Committee members will work within the
system to reduce some of the costs that AHSA is imposing upon the
creation of more FEI level rides in the U.S. They possibly could give an
abatement for a term of three or four years while we attempt to build
more of these events. If you think so too, write them!

Steve Shaw