From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 11:11 AM
Subject: RC: "want to do endurance"

> Donna Snyder-Smith rightrider@cs.com
> When reading your post, there are a couple of thoughts that
> occur.  First, although you did say you were very competitive,
> which may eliminate this possibility for you, I assume you
> have thought of slowing down as an option to
> simply leaving the sport.  There is a great deal of debate on
> whether it is endurance riding or endurance racing and in truth,
> in my opinion, it is both.  You can "ride" through an event or
> you can "race" through an event.  Both can be done well, and both
> can be done poorly (increasing the risk of injury to the horse).
> With your competitiveness, you may not be interested in doing
> endurance "riding," only endurance "racing," but the people you
> meet, etc. are the same.
> As to wear and tear on the horse, I've spent a professional life
> time with horses and "played" in more than a few disciplines.
> I probably don't need to tell you that you can find abuse (of the
> horse) in any of them if you know where to look.  Frankly, I've
> seen some of the other discipline do a lot more damage to horses
> who were being competed than most endurance horses experience.
> I, like you, keep coming back to the fact that endurance horses
> as a group seem to genuinely enjoy what they do.  Not that I've
> never seen a happy jumper, event horse or dressage horse, etc.
> but I haven't seen them in the sheer numbers that I've seen happy
> endurance horses (and I've been in lots of places where these and
> other activities were taking place, for many years).  Also, horses
> in these disciplines break down too.  So the question becomes, is
> there a sport where, if you participate to the degree where
> you want to do more than win once or twice or at the "local"
> level, you won't run the same risk of deterioration  to the horse?  Let's
just say, I've never seen evidence of that.  Horses who seem to grow old in
a competitive sport with less than an
> average amount of wear and tear have some things in common.  First, they
have conformation which makes them suitable for the
> job.  Second, they were not asked to bear weight, or started in
> their discipline career too young (before 4 years).  Third, they
> receive regular time off from their jobs, between competitions and between
competitive seasons and during this vacation
> time, they are usually housed at what amounts to a horse "spa."
> Green, good grass pasture, with lots of room to roam (keeping
> their muscles loose and in good shape). Fourth, they had owner
> trainers who made sure their athletic partner had what they
> needed in the way of correctly fitted equipment, shoes, etc.  The
> shoes thing alone can take a lifetime of study, and trust me (I could give
you more details if you want), even when you think you
> have gotten the best, you can be fooled, as x-rays are now
> showing in this four point balance system of shoeing! (but that's
> another story).  Then ofcourse there's good riding. NO ONE YET
> puts as much responsibility for competitive wear and tear on
> the horse, on the shoulders of the rider.  I don't just mean
> speed or frequency, I mean BALANCE.  I mean FLUID non interfering
> riding.  This is not an easy thing.  For hundreds of years,
> equestrians the world over have spent lifetimes "becoming one
> with the horse."  While I fully realize that not everyone who
> rides will "become one with their horse," for more than an
> isolated moment or two, I also know most riders do not realize
> how much tension and crookedness in their bodies inhibits their
> horse's ability to balance and "defend" itself from the wear and
> tear of its work.
> Guess what I'm saying is, there are other options you could
> explore if you don't want to give up the sport, and yes, I am
> sure there are other riders who ask themselves the same question
> you are wrestling with, I know I have in the past and I'm sure
> I will in the future.  I also ask myself these other
> questions as well, however.  Did/is, my horse enjoying their life?  Are
they as comfortable as I can possibly make them?