Re: RC: EN

In a message dated 1/5/01 10:04:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< The AERC could also realize a big cost savings by offering the EN online
 to those that wanted it online. I am not proposing that the hard copy should
cease to exist. Those that want it in print should be able to get it in
print, but if only 1/4 of the membership took it online, this would amount to
a large savings.  >>

You, probably, will get more people on Ridecamp agreeing with you here than
you may think.  After all, most of us seem to be computer geeks who ride
endurance, so having our magazine sent to us via email is an outstanding idea.

My only problem with that is I really loved the cover of December's issue.
Sandy Claus (hey, I do live in FL) on a horse, with those glow sticks, was an
exceptional picture. I've been carrying it around with me all Christmas
season showing it off.  So, I guess I'd miss those special covers, like the
one with my name and my Death story on it (haha, we'll never see that one
again).  That cover is framed and over my fireplace.

Truman, PHD that he is, has come up with an excellent way to save money.  I
think it's cause he lives near Carlos, who's in charge of our cash, and they
seem to have a few ideas on how to trim the fat.  I, also, like the idea of
donations.  I'm not a rich guy, but if I ever become one, I will donate money
to AERC (hint, hint to those of you who have too much).  I even feel guilty
about taking money for my one story (boy, was I surprised) and I just might
send it back to them after my Wal*Mart bill is paid off.

I really want to see AERC remain financially solvent.  My kid's swim team
used to have car washes, with parents and adults chipping in to bring in
money for the team.  Maybe, a horse wash, at a ride with all proceeds donated
to AERC.  I was at the GERA ride last August, and they auctioned off donated
tack for their organization.  They made quite a few bucks and it's not a bad
idea.  Why does it have to be only the local organizations that do this kind
of thing?  I bet if we made a contest out of it, giving out jackets or
plaques to the region who came up with the most donated goods or cash, AERC
would have more cash than FEI; and the Sultans of Swing would be coming to us
for loans (that will be the day).  haha.

My point is if the members worked together, as a cohesive team, with the same
goals, money would not be such a problem.  It can be attained quite easily if
everybody's on the same page.  Most people have big hearts and if AERC let it
be known that donations are accepted, the riders would give.  And, my guess
is, they would give big.

cya,
Howard