Re: North Fork American River

Nothing implied with this is good news...only more restrictions...Cora
----- Original Message -----
From: beth glover
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 4:49 PM
Subject: RC: North Fork American River

Greetings ride camp; Before I go any farther, I do not wish to inflame folks with "I hate Bill Clinton/George Bush " stuff.  I simply am wondering if the new proposal to set aside wilderness areas including the North fork of American River, making them off limits to further logging and mining, Will affect trail riders and the Tevis?  I remember a short while back there was a fight to prevent the whole thing from being dammed, and I see there is no dam.  I actually also remember a proposal to dam the colorado river which would have turned Grand Canyon into a lake, anyone else remember that?  How about you John freezing in Vermont? My first thought was "hurray good news!", but after reading many of your opinions about environmental impacts, I am cautiously optimistic.  Currently I am grieving the loss of my local foothills which are being scraped clear of any living wisp of grass, and littered with debris of construction due to reckless develo! pment of trophy houses by greedy developers, and crooked politicians. Here in my home town. Sneaky nasty tricky development.  I am seeing loss of trails, loss of wildlife, total destruction of an endangered species flower, increased fires, increased trash, noise, and increased overpopulation.  Nothing like finding your favorite trail with a shiny new lock on the shiny new gate. Please tell me this is good news  for the American River..anyone know?   Beth