Re: Dues

Cheryl,
I agree with you 100 present. I too will be joining AREC this year for the
first time. But only because the $10 added fee at rides, if I go to all
three rides here in ND, it will pay to join. But if the membership fees go
up more I will no longer join. Some of us have to nickel and dime our horse
lives. Being married to a farmer, every penny counts and must be spent in
the best way.  I'm right now working with a saddle club I belong to, seeing
how we can keep dues down, if they go up, I'll no longer belong there
either.   I have only a set amount to spend on my horse hobby , I can't
believe we are the only ones.  This is a costly sport, for the reason you
posted.  I could go to 2 horse shows for one ride fee!  I don't want to show
any more ,but just another way of looking at it.   To use the idea of what
kind of truck people drive or trailer they have as a reason for it not being
a big deal if the dues go up is silly. They must understand that some people
use their truck and trailers for others things besides going to rides. We
have a 96 diesel  truck and a 98 22 foot  titan trailer (stock) if people
think its just for the few rides I go to they are dreaming! We are framers,
they are for the business, if I use them for the few rides I go too its
because its what we have. If they want more people to join and increase
their member base and income, they must keep it in line with costs,
remembering that most of their members  ( I would assume) are local weekend
riders, not the ones with unlimited time  and income.  This is the most fun
I have ever had on a horse (I've been riding for 40+ years) but if it gets
to cost too much I  will  have to settle for trail rides.
Tami