AERC status, Awards, EN

Karol Read ksassy3@yahoo.com
I have been a member of AERC and competitor since the early 70's.....Have witnessed and been part of the many changes and growth explosions of this organization. I am new to posting but I would like to comment on 3 of the threads being discussed at length for the past several days....

AERC - the discussions here are at length about the unstable status of AERC.  I just received my January 2001 EN...I am quite surprised at the tone of the Presidents message.  I felt it should lead me to believe that "all is well".  His last paragraph indicates that we are in the black - "...Perphaps most of all, in the last two years we have moved AERC from near bankruptcy to a position of financial strength."  If we are in financial strength why are we discussing cost cutting measures?  ".....We have worked hard to transform AERC from a "national club" to the poisiton of a strong National Organization.  We are now operating like abusiness but have not lost sight of the needs of our membership...."  I have never been under the impression that I was a member of a "national club".  As with many other organizations (IAHA as an example) rapid growth has not always been kind to "grassroots" membership and their needs.

Awards....AERC and its membership is like every other equine performance organization.  There are many levels of participation for a member to choose to participate in.  It is usually those with seemingly unlimited funds to participate with, that all the awards programs are designed for. It's their trailer race and that is ok for them. I must agree with many of the others that have responded, I do not participate in this sport for the quantity, quality or diverse awards.  My "reward" is that we - my horse and I - conquer the challenges of the day.  I am proud to have  my steed recognized for his fitness, stamina, and longevity.  I have had the pleasure of being in the top 5, top 10, middle of the pack or last!  Many of the awards I have received are gone.....but the memories are still there.  As for National recognition awards - design a standard and stay with that.  It will be a recognizable tribute to our sport.  I'd like to see a standardize plaque and ribbon.  These can be bought in qty for cost savings. Once the initial stock has been acquired then its a matter of engraving name plates each year.  Ribbon streamers can be re-furbished for little cost.
Responding to the post about patches....when I first started back in the early 70's - I purchased my own favortie style of jacket.  At that time, each ride did have specifically designed patches available for purchase.  I still have that jacket with my rider mileage chevrons and many patches from the rides that we sucessfully finished.  I still wear that jacket out at the barn.  It has started many a conversation with people who don't know what endurance is or have a bad connotation of the sport. I must be honest and say that I think I would feel awkard to wear that jacket at a ride today.  I look at it has great advertizing for those ride managers, solid accomplishment, and tribute to my horse's capabilities.

I would like to add one other comment about EN.....I have done club and organizational newsletters for many years.  A black and white form reads as well as glossy...and in many cases even better.  Those of use in our "middle ages" (or approaching!)need all the help with eye strain!!! With all of the cost of printing at a "ransom's" price, I can not believe that our membership will be that digruntled to reduce the cost burden of our magazine.  The sad thing about the EN is that it no longer is the informative magazine of days gone by...I used to look forward to its arrival and now it's only a results sheet and ride calendar.  I can remember, probably 8-10 yrs ago, a group of girl friends and I excitedly drove up together to attend the AERC convention in Reno.  I sat in the back seat and read aloud several of the informative and very funny articles out of the EN that had JUST arrived! We didn't dare leave without it! Does anyone remember the very funny article about the etiquette one should use when sharing a trailer ride?  It was so very hard to read out loud for the tears of laughter it brought.  Nonetheless, it was right!!!!

I will continue to participate in this sport...and I think I would be very resentful with an additional increase of our annual dues.  But it still is the best buy for your money and the most rewarding for you and your as a team!

Karol