HALLELUJAH BENEFIT RIDE

The Hallelujah Benefit Ride was a resounding success. I want to express
my thanks to all the wonderful people who came, rode, and contributed to
its success. I especially want to thank those who came just to volunteer
their time and did not ride. We had over thirty more riders than ever
before, and even though our expenses were a little higher due to rising
prices, we will still be able to send St. Jude's Childrens hospital more
than $4000, which will be almost double what we have been able to send
in the past. All this is possible because those of you who came made it
possible.

The winner of the 100 mile ride with a time of 13 h 13 m was Lois
McAfee, followed closely by Dinah Rojek, who took the BC award. It was a
thrilling finish. Lois was the winner of the Frances Johnston Memorial
Challenge Trophy, which can be taklen home after either being won three
times by the same rider(NOT the same horse) or being won once and the
rider receiveing 100 points based on the donor's point system of so many
points for each top ten placing. 11 horses started the 100 mile
distance. Six finished. All who completed qualified in their weight
division for the National Championship ride in New Mexico.

The 75 mile ride was won by Wendy Mattingly with a time of 8 h 4 m.
Nina Gibson was second, and also won BC. Fourteen riders started, 10
completed.

The 50 mile ride was won by Julie Bullock with a ride time of 4 h 41 m.
Joan Rash was second. BC was won by Julie Bullock.(50 + started)

The 25 mile ride was won by Adele Dennard in 2 h 26 m. Second was by
Sharon O'Rawe, who also won BC.(50 + started)

Of the 119 horses who actually started on the trails, only 16 were
pulled, and the major reason was lameness, two were pulled rider option,
and one horse had muscle cramps. One of the Rider option pulls was
because the rider became ill during the ride. All the riders and their
crews are to be commended for the care they took of the horses.

I apologize for not getting the word out yesterday, but by the time I
made it home I "crashed" and slept until this morning. Today I had 80
papers to grade, which is what I left with the substitute teacher for
Friday's lessons while I was at the ride site.

The Fairfield County Rescue Squad uses our ride as an annual training
event. They provide assistance at road crossings, a huge water tank
truck, lights for the vets and finish line after dark,two way radio
communications, and spent at least three Saturdays before the ride
helping us clear trail.We had a mess after the January snow and ice. If
it had not been for their help we could not have cleared the trails in
time for the ride. The emergency stretcher they designed for our ride a
year or so ago has not been used for us, but has brough out a deer
hunter who had a massive heart attack in the woods. That has justified
their continued help for the Hallelujah Ride. It has become a parnership
with them and our saddle club.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE. THE CAMP WAS LEFT MUCH CLEANER THAN LAST YEAR AND
LINDA FISHER WAS PLEASED THAT SHE DID NOT HAVE TO DO AS MUCH CLEANUP.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL. THERE IS ROOM FOR EVEN MORE RIDERS NEXT YEAR.The same
vets have agreed to come back. They make an excellent team.
Lucie Hancock, Linda Fisher, Tricia Jackson(Trail Boss) and all the
volunteer crew