saddle pads

years ago we spent several months packing with mules and donkeys through the atlas mountains of Morocco...we did as the natives did..our saddle pads were about 2 inches thick made of quilted together straw....worked great...on top of the pad went the "saddle" which was two panniers connected in the middle woven out of straw...you filled the panniers with whatever and then climbed on top...sitting sideways with both legs dangling infront of 'usually the left pannier....worked really well unless your animal cut unexpectedly to the left whereupon I would crash unto the ground...we didn't use bridles either..just a stick...I fell off my mule lots...tried switching to one of the donkeys which was really a bad idea!  Of course back in those days I could fall off and get right back up,over and over again...not so anymore!