Re: RC: RE: Lyme Disease

Hi Kerry,
my horse came up with bilateral lameness in her hind end last spring.
I suspected Lyme might be involved since I'd taken many ticks [wood
and deer] off of her the previous fall.  Sure enough, she did have
Lyme disease, with a titer of 430.  Although we don't know if Lyme
caused the lameness it nonetheless had to be treated.  Is your mare
lame?  Why did you decide to have her titer determined?  I think 640
is quite a high titer, and my guess is that you will have to repeat
the antibiotics treatments several times to get the titer down.  We
used doxycycline for 2 weeks, in very high doses.  Same anitibiotic
used for humans with Lyme around here.   You may want to consider
probiotics with the antibiotics to maintain the flora in the GI
tract.  We waited a few weeks, and then got the titer redrawn;
repeating anitibiotics as needed.  If your mare is sound I think you
can continue riding her, but I'd be very observant of any reluctance
she shows, or any indications of muscle or joint pain.  I'd ask
the vet's opinion.  Good luck!

 Beth and Klass Act
New Paltz, NY

> I bought a 12 year old Arab mare three months ago and just found out that she has Lyme Disease.  The titer test showed a low positive (1:640) and western blot test was also low positive.  My vet reco>
> This is my first year doing competitive trail riding and I'm very new at this.  When should I start conditioning my mare?  Is there anyone out there who's horse has had Lyme Disease and what approach> East Longmeadow, MA

Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY