shocked

I need a little encouragement right now.  If anybody feels like being a
good Samaritan, make my day.  I have said this before, but just to
reiterate, I am the one who is used to Fox Trotters.   That is the type
of horse I have always ridden, but I have recently purchased an Arab
mare.  I genuinely love her personality here at home and find that she is
easy to ride around our place.  She had done two 50-milers when I bought
her over a month ago.  Being that I bent the axil on my trailer and have
not had wheels, I have not attended any rides with her yet (at this point
I am just referring to trail rides with friends.).  However, today was
gorgeous for a Feb day, and I opted to lead her about a mile from here
and ride with a group of friends.  Keep in mind, this is the first time I
have ridden her in a group.  Well, she really freaked me out.  First of
all, she just kept kind of twirling and making it difficult for me to get
on. Then I finally got to mount (probably unsafely) and she just started
dancing and prancing and going sideways and ignoring me altogether it
seemed.  I could feel the power underneath me - she wanted to run it felt
like to me, and I had a hackamore on her.  Honestly, I think I am just
not used to Arabians perhaps.  I wonder, did she think we were in an
endurance race?  She acted like a whole different horse in a group.  I
tried to relax and get her to relax, but felt it was unsafe,so I
dismounted, told my friends it was not working out and went home.  On
foot, leading her as I was fearful of riding her at that point and
especially AWAY from the others.  At least when we got back home I did
put a snaffle on her, remount, and rode her around here for about two
hours.  She still acted weird and disobedient, but I circled her etc.,
determined to not let her get the best of me.  It ended on a good note,
as I felt I had finally obtained alpha at that point.  However, now I
just cannot image riding in a group with her - which is what I WANT to do
with her.  Why are Arabs so different from other horses?   What kind of
attitude do I need with her?  Sorry to sound so needy.  Guess I'm just
feeling a little disappointed at this time. Thanks  - Terri

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.