Re: RC: Re: Diesel info

In a message dated 2/17/00 10:16:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
superpat@gateway.net writes:

<< Maybe a few cents higher but I really don't mind all that much when it is
 freezing cold and wet outside. But more than that, it does provide jobs for
 many and in this age of automation, I am all for preserving or creating jobs
 even if they are on the low end of the wage scale. >>

The problem with "creating" jobs in such a fashion is that those who actually
produce something continue to pay a bigger and bigger piece of the pie.
We've already priced ourselves out of what many low-end jobs are worth and
have destroyed them with minimum wage laws--one reason our kids don't learn
to work before they get that gas station job is because they haven't been
allowed to work at menial jobs where they are paid what they are worth, which
isn't very much.  If the pimple-faced kid who seems troubled by your
intrusion at the gas pumps had grown up picking berries by the box in the
summer, or some similar task, he'd likely have a hop-to-it work ethic
already, and would have your windshield washed as soon as he gets your pump
going, trying to give you some extra service so that you remain loyal to the
station, thereby further justifying what he is paid.

Heidi