Re: RC: older guys on the trail - summary

In a message dated 2/17/00 11:16:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tina@liveonthenet.com writes:

<< 3) Most of the older horses you wrote me about did not start endurance
 till later in life - it was either a second career for them, or they had
 a long layoff for some reason, or they just didn't do much of anything
 till they were found in a pasture around 9 or 10 and then started.

 I'm wondering if #3 has any bearing on them being able to continue
 endurance riding at age 20 and 22? >>

Actually, a lot of the older horses running successfully HAVE had long
careers--two that come to mind are two of the most class horses in this
sport--Rio and RT Muffin.  Dunno exactly when Rio got started, but he had had
an illustrious career for MANY years before his BC win at the WEC at age
19--including AERC National Champion and a whole host of FEI individual
medals.  RT Muffin started right in at 5 and has gone ever since--he is
getting close to the 10,000 mile career mark, has well over 100 career wins,
and was still logging miles last year at age 21...

I've retired my oldest one at 20, not because he couldn't continue in the
sport, but because I had young ones that needed more attention.

Heidi