Re: RC: [Fwd: RC: Research at rides]

In a message dated 2/11/00 2:00:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wsabg@t-online.de writes:

<< but Jerzy told me that the
 gelding could be better because he is smaller (?!?!). Jerzy said that they
often
 see problems in bigger arabs caused by the legs. We didn't go deeper into
that
 discussion but maybe some of our RC-breeders can say a word to this. >>

Wolfgang, that't the same thing that I hear over and over from folks who have
been breeding for years, and it has also been my observation through years of
ride vetting.  No matter what one says about physics favoring the bigger
horse "if all else is equal," the truth remains that "all else" is almost
never equal.  A great number of tall Arabs gain that height by sacrificing
conformation and proportion--I have rarely seen an Arab over about 15:2 that
did not have excessively long cannons, excessive pastern length, a long
shoulder that is too upright, or usually a combination of those. traits.  One
of the only tall Arabs I ever knew that retained correct proportions was
Bezatal--and when you stood back from him he was sufficiently proportional
that one did not get the illusion of height.  I believe he was not quite 16
hh.  Nonetheless (and despite the fact that he sired some EXTREMELY tall
offspring, including one that I've seen measured with my own eyes at
16:3-3/4), most of his really athletic offspring were shorter than he was.
There was another stallion named Daatez that lived here in central Oregon
before my time here and was reputed to be 16 hh--I never saw him in the
flesh, but I've seen photos, and he WAS very well proportioned.  He was not
bred selectively for height, and again, most of his offspring were not as
tall as he (they weren't SMALL--I saw several that were roughly 15:1 or so)
but had many of his athletic qualities.

I've measured photos of literally scores of Arabs that are reputed to be 16
hh or better (and I know some of them actually are) and virtually every one
has at least some of the conformational flaws I mentioned above.  It is not
height itself to which long-time breeders object, but the fact that in
attaining that height, as Jerry in Poland stated, they DO tend to lose their
quality.  (As Tom observed in a recent post--the medium sized horses with big
hearts tend to make the best flat track horses--wouldn't be at all surprised
if it is for the same reason, although I have not taken the time to study the
proportions of TB's as they relate to size.)  Thanks for sharing the fact
that this phenomenon is also observed by astute breeders in other parts of
the world.

Heidi