Re: RC: Body Protectors

ribbitttreefrog@yahoo.com writes:

<< Hey you safety concious riders. Since we have a helmet
 thread going, thought this was the right time to jump in
 with this question. Rick has sustained a couple of injuries
 and now is thinking about riding with a body protector/flak
 jacket type vest. Anyone use these? Pros? Cons? Brands?
 Where to find a good deal? (He punctured his lung on a
 training ride a couple years ago and is getting more and
 more safety concious.) Being a firefighter doesn't help! >>

My husband has one that is pretty good--like your husband, he has sustained
rib fractures, and his chest is so "remodeled" that it wouldn't take much to
cause a nasty injury.  He doesn't wear his all the time, but does when
working green horses (and says he would if he ever does any jumping again).
His was made by a company called Tipperary Manufacturing in Orangeville,
Ontario, Canada--there is a phone number on the label (no idea if it is
current or not)--519-940-9514.  He ordered it through a vendor at AERC
convention a few years ago, but can't remember which vendor.

Heidi